History

Hoër Tegniese Skool | Welkom | Technical High School

History

November 16, 2018 General 0

1951

Mr FR Schmidt was the first principal secretary of the Technical Institute in Welkom.
There were 120 young men in training. The first building was an old community centre in Welkom.
Six months later the Institute moved to a larger building in Uitzichtkamp.


1955

In January they moved to the first permanent buildings.


1956

Permission was obtained to erect the necessary buildings for a Technical High School and a Commercial High School.


1957

The Technical High School and Commercial High School was established. In June, Mr MCH le Page, took over as principal.


1959

During the first six months the Technical High School and Commercial High School shared the same buildings. Mr PJC Bosch was the vice-principal. Mr MCH le Page moved to another town.


1960

Mr SD van der Merwe became the new principal. School uniform became compulsory. Buildings were officially opened by the Honourable Mr JH Viljoen.

1961

In August college status was awarded to the Institute. A hostel was planned for 120 students.


1962

In June Mr SD van der Merwe moved away and Mr JT van der Merwe took over as the new principal.


1964

On 14 August the hostel was officially opened by the Honourable minister J de Klerk.
House Gratia – Gratitude


1965

The College was taken over by the Department of Education, Arts and Science.
It became a departmental institution. With the takeover it became an independent school.


1966

Mr PJC Bosch passed away. Mr AJ du Plessis became principal for 24 years (from 1966 to 1990). On 30 April the PJC Bosch-stadium was inaugurated.


1968

From 1 April the school fell under the OFS Provincial Administration as a vocational school.

1990

Mr B du Toit was appointed principal from mid-June.


2002

Mr GI Hinrichs, was appointed principal at THS  for 10 years (from 2002-2012).


2013

Mr PJH Swanepoel was appointed principal and is currently the principal

>